Sunday, October 28

Ohrid

I am now sitting in an internet cafe near the Ploshtad Sv. Kliment Ohridski here in Ohrid. The internet is really fast which is very nice for a change. Super Brz Internet. No lies.
So a short update... I planned to hitchhike with Zdravko yesterday morning but at 00:30 I got an sms from one of my bosses that we are going to SOS Children Village at 14 with another boss. Ok, because of my frequent travels to Prishtina I don't really want to spoil my relationship with bosses, so I decided to stop fussing and drop the hitchhiking plan. Go to the meeting at the Children Village instead, move to the new flat after that and then take a bus to Ohrid.
Meeting at the Children Village was ok, the place is quite far but it is very nice. It seems we need to prepare some plans of the activities we want to hold with the children there. Not an easy task if you don't know the kids and anything about the activities currently happening and what has been done with them before. I would prefer to assist the macedonian staff first...but ok, when I come back from the on-arrival training next week, I will start to think about that and make some plans.
The new flat was a bit of an unpleasant shock because they had been telling us how great it is. So I had a bit greater expectations... One room is really big, the other one really small. I first chose the small one because it had a big double bed but later I realized the bed is a real crap with holes made by springs and springs going into your buttocks. So probably they will move one of the small beds (it has 2) from the big room to my small room. And the big bed will go to the living room because there is TV but no sofa. I asked for a real sofa, but not big hopes we will get it any time soon or at all.
The flat smells old cigarette smoke, the bath is funny and I have a freaky feeling of dirt everywhere. The lights where terrible, like in a hospital hitting my eyes. The kitchen is very small and built on a balcony (it used to be a balcony). Maybe we just need to inhabit the flat, but at the moment it does not have a feeling of home at all.
While I was bitching about the flat and thinking what to do with the double bed from my room, I almost missed the 18:30 bus to Ohrid. Had to run and search for a taxi in our not very nice and busy with taxes neighborhood. But I got one, the guy had learnt some russian at school and was very nice.
Bus to Ohrid was full and terribly heated, I thought I am going to fry. Crazy southerners!
I arrived in Ohrid at 22:00. Walked from the bus station and met Zdravko at Plostad. We went straight to the restaurant Belvedere where all the couchsurfers where having dinner. I sat at the Serbian table again, guys from Belgrade are really cool!
After the dinner went out around the clubs of Ohrid. Liquid and Cuba Libre were nice, but all couchsurfers ended up in X-factor with extremelly crappy disco music and foam coming from the ceiling and making the glass floor really slipppery.
As Zdravko had not slept the night before he was really tired and I decided to join him to his friend's appartment and save 6 or 7 euros for accommodation. The flat was really nice...for summer. Now the house was empty, we did not have electricity because we had to screw back corks but we did not know how to open the electricity box. Also now water because you need to screw it back, too. But Zdravko was advised not to try because there is something wrong and once you turn the water on you have problems turning it off. And of course there was no heating, so was quite chilly. Still I slept quite well and there was water from the tap in the kitchen sink, was enough for morning washing.
In the morning we went for a coffee at a very nice bar at the lake. Beautiful view, beautiful lake, beautiful city! Then a burek and yoghurt at a mosque, then a walk up the fortress on the hill. Later went by cars to Sv. Naum monastery, a beautiful drive and a very nice place. I started to talk to some bulgarians and an albanian guy and missed my group. Talked to many many people, crazy cosmopolitean people... couchsurfing people don't have nationality. Clearly.
Took a movie of crazy guys swimming naked in the lake. Good one.
And then just telling jokes in Serbian and drinking Turkish coffee and Bulgarian apricot rakija.
Zdravko is dating a girl. Still??? I don't have the key from the flat. Other couchsurfers are probably still sitting and drinking at their house-hostel. There was a lot of alchocol to finish before they head for the city. So I don't know what I do now... Just typing a lot of nonsense. Good night, Dobra nok

No comments: