Thursday, November 29

Skopje Fair/СКОПЈЕ САЕМ and ProCredit day

Yesterday I went first to Detsko Selo at 10. Viktoria had to go to doctor again. All volunteers are having some health problems here. This time we had to go to the other room because in the big room first Irena had a meeting with aunts (Children Village's "moms") and then there was ProCredit coming with their donations. I liked the small room actually better because it is smaller, warmer and cozier. First I was trying to teach them how to practice multiplication and make their own unique pattern using their birth date. Then we were doing a small funny dictation in English, then spelling of fruit and vegetable names in English. I like it because it makes me revise the names in Macedonian. A bit later Karen came, she had got lost or something. She is actually a really nice girl, but having a hard time with English and now also Macedonian.
After big kids left, we went to the big hall to see Irena. There were many children and aunts and people from ProCredit bank who were first promoting their ideology and then giving sets of knitted hats, scarfs and gloves to kids. By kids faces you could tell that they were quite boring gifts, still they were very polite and happy for them.



Then I went home, bought a burek (it was excellent this time, I am going to the same place again). Rested a bit and went to the Skopje fair to meet Elena from the incubator and see how it looks like. Elena was working together with her friend Marija. Really nice girls. I did not like to stay at the stand too much because visitors of the fair usually caught my eyes and came up to me to ask what we (Business Incubator) are doing. Then Elena jumped in and I just stood there and smiled like a stupid decoration girl or hostess how they call them. Actually they had really beautiful hostesses, especially some IT companies with ugly guys need to hire some beautiful girls for the fair to promote their stand. The other thing which caught my attention in this fair in Skopje was that almost in each stand there is kind of cafeteria area where people are sitting smoking, drinking coffee, eating cakes, sandwiches, candies...




I was explained by Elena that these areas are for the big clients. I was laughing back that in Latvia in such fairs you just take the business card of the big client to be and type him an email afterwards.
The fair was not really big and and also not so many people. It is free for pensioners (old retired people), so they usually come to these fairs to collect pens and colorful brochures, and/or just to have a talk
While walking around the 2nd time I was caught by the promotional movie of ProCredit bank. They showed a movie about their branches all over the world. I started with Nicaragua, then it moved to Mozambique, then to Ghana... While I was standing there, they offered to sit down. After Ghana I was already starting to feel uncomfortable - it was more than half an hour I was sitting there. But when I was leaving I was stopped by one ProCredit girl who offered me juice and asked to sit a bit more because the next was Macedonia. So I sit down again and watched Macedonia, Serbia and a bit of the main training center in Germany. It was an interesting movie.. thumbs up for ProCredit. I started to appreciate them more. And I found out, for example, that they are driving on the left side in Mozambique. The capital of Nicaragua Managua was destroyed in a big earthquake in the 1972. Ghana was the biggest "exporter" of slaves, but now one of the most stable and peaceful countries in Africa... Portuguese colonial rule finished really late in Mozambique, only in 1975. And after that they had a destructive civil war.
After the language class, I wanted to have a peaceful evening and go to sleep early. I did have a peaceful evening cooking and learning Macedonian, but went to sleep anyways at 1 am... Getting up today at 7 am did not feel very good. I will try to go to sleep earlier tonight.

No comments: