Saturday, December 8

last week (busy as always)

Monday,
I took the bus at 11:30 from Prishtina. At 15:00 in the children village. Viki had planned to make the Activity game (guessing words by showing them or drawing them), but was not working out very well with the small kids. They wanted to draw. There were some guys from a marketing agency who were making Christmas cards with kids before. Kids are really kept busy these last weeks before Xmas because there are many businesses who want to promote themselves in this way...


In the evening was dancing again. We were learning Ciganchica. Maybe people were tired, maybe the dance was really harder than the previous ones, maybe the teacher is not really good at teaching...probably it all together, but it was not going very well this time. The guy is definately better at making steps simple and explaining them so that people understand. This girl is just showing and want us to repeat.
After the dance, we went to Alberts flat for a meeting about the International Volunteer's Day on Wednesday. It was Dominique's birthday, so most of the time we were talking nonsense and eating a cake. I would have boycotted this late meeting, but I had to wait for Ljubo to come with me to the police and register me. We went to police almost at 1 am and then I could finally go to bed..

Tuesday,
Business Incubator in the morning. At 15 I was meeting Natasha from Slovenia whom I met first in Prishtina the previous weekend. We walked a bit around Charshija, went to the old train station and then I showed her the way to the bus station and went to the language class.

Wednesday,
The International Volunteer's day. There was even a short story in the newspaper next to a story about Brad Pitt. First we went to the Kisela Voda office, folded some flyers. Then went to the square, next to the European Information Centre. It was a very windy day and nothing wanted to stand on the table, so laptop was mainly used to hold the flyers. We got some red and yellow balloons


and went on distributing flyers. I met Jeremy from CS. After the work we went to Sagafredo Zanetti cafe again to have some drinks. Here is my roommate with Nicolas having some fun:

The new local volunteers for Voices seem really nice. Jeremy was mostly talking to Dominique. Then I took him home, made some dinner and had to go to the center again to meet Natasha because she agreed to take me to the dentist. The dentist was a really cool, old guy who has fixed teeth of many NATO guys of different nationalities. I was his first Latvian, though. His clinic was in a private appartment, interior was quite retro, but anestesia was available and plombs were modern. Alex and Natasha took me home by car and inspected my appartment:)
In the evening we went to Kisela Voda again, had a nice party with candles, bambus and sweppes&white wine drink with fruit pieces, and version of the mafia game with werewolves.

Thursday,
In the morning we went to Bit Pazar to buy materials for the jewelry and christmas decorations workshop in Detsko Selo on Friday. I bought new very pink bedsheets because I wanted to change the finally and wash them. I bought them from a very nice muslim girl. It is not an uncommon sight to see these girls with headscarfs working. Especially in Bit Pazar or center of Struga. And they do look very nice.
After shopping I went for a bit to the YES BI. And then was the time go to the test in Macedonian language. It was not hard, but it was my mess day: misswrote things, skipped some letters, confused latin and cyrilic letters. So we have finished the first level and we will get a certificate.
In the evening we went to Albert's flat again for a St. Nikola celebration. They have made a lot of food but we had just eaten. At midnight I went to the center to meet 2 guys and go to Terry Francis night in Colosseum nightclub. I was doubting it while sitting in the flat because I was falling asleep and nobody wanted to join me. But I still wanted to see what a real house electronic party looks like in Skopje. Though, it is not my stuff at all, it was nice. It was strange that many girls and also guys looked more like coming to opera or theatre... but people were dancing and appearantly having fun. I also went to the weird VIP balcony this time, though as always it took some negotiation. And they don't sell any Skopsko on the VIP balcony, only Heineken because of some special agreement. Skopsko costs 100 in Colosseum, Heineken is 140. So, I took Gin&Tonic because it was just 10 denars more - 150. And it was good, finally not too much alcohol. Too much alcohol is a very comon problem for cocktails in Skopje. Generous bartenders. Yuck!

Went to sleep at 3 am because the guys had to get up early as well.

Friday,
I got up at 6 to say good-bye to Jeremy and went back to bed. At 10 in Detsko Selo. Inese and Nicolas also came as journalists. Kids enjoyed making jewelry, I and Anja were enjoying making Christmas tree decorations. Everybody made a big mess with fliters. The problem was that kids kept all the things and only my christmas tree decorations went for the Christmas market.
After Detsko Selo we went with Anja to Albert's appartment to finish yesterday's food. Viki went to the center first to meet some Hungarian woman. I with Anja were coming to Ramstore at 15, but we got so carried away in converstations that came more than half an hour late. We walked to the German embassy which is quite far away, hidden against the slope of Vodno. There was a German Weinnachtsmarkt.





We drank some Gluhwein with a good addition of rum. Carsten came later and boughth some really tasty cookies. It was packed with internationals and little kids. So naturally all our talks were about pregnancy and giving birth. We left Carsten and went to hunt for a taxi. It was not so easy but finally we got into the warmth of Ramstore supermarket, bought tickets for Taksirat festival (which is tonight) and went for a coffee at Doctor's.
Back in Avtokomanda, I still went to Anja to finish the leftovers and then almost straight to bed.

Today,
Slept nicely till half past nine. I hate the heating here! I thing that is the thing that does not make me recover completely and after each night I feel my throat again. In the evening it is warm, then somewhere at the night they turn off the heating at all to turn it back at morning around 7... do they think I will not notice that? The windows are not isolated well and I feel every change.
Anyways, I won't give up and went to run finally again. Drank my tea but my throat is still feeling weird. Here I am longing for a calm day at home with a book, tea, knitting maybe. But tonight need to go out again...Sigh

No comments: