Monday, March 17

Milda sessions in Tessaloniki





Last weekend I went to Tessaloniki finally to meet a Latvian EVS from my pre-departure seminar. She is leaving tomorrow early early morning at 5 something... Was her last weekend in Tessaloniki and my last chance to meet her there because there is not a big chance she will ever come back there, so happy to leave she was! And she is not the only having this mood, which made me think why EVSes want to shorten their projects and are happy to leave from Greece but in here in Macedonia the general mood is completely different: most of current EVSes want to extent their projects and stay in Macedonia. Because in general lines the EVS problems are the same here and there... Maybe too much capitalism in Greece kills the only beautiful sentiment and innocence and hospitality and country-sidedness of people here in the Balkans and leaves only the ugly side of the same things. But maybe it is just the subjective reasons of the individuals involved in this enigma. Because we met a real Latvian-Greek, who stayed in Tessaloniki after his EVS and loves it.
I did like Tessaloniki and I cannot say that all Greek people are rude. The officers are. But ice-cream sellers are not.
We went to some documentary photography excibitions in the Museum of Photography. The one from Afganistan had too much Canadian Piii-aaaaR. But the other one was great with pictures from all current hot spots in the world. Great shots and great summaries.
After that had my chicken suvlaki and Greek coffee (hahaha...Greek, Turkish, Albanian, Bosnian, Serbian...coffee) at the blue-eyed table of the Milda nation talking the Milda language and staring at aging Greek cleavages.

Sunday evening I was back home and got to know shocking news that the owner of our flat died. He was a very nice, cheerful, energetic guy...he seemed. But had a weak heart and got a lethal heart-attack on Thursday. I felt out of place and my knees felt week when I was going to register in the police again. Death is still impossible for a human mind to comprehend.

Today we played games with children and started to teach English to their mothers and aunts. ABC. I met Maria - the new German volunteer with 2 kids, all of them "gypsy-style". From the little communication I had, she really seems a nice girl and kids are simply heart-killers.

After that I had to run to my Macedonian dentist because I finally made up my mind to make my first crown. It was a lot of zzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzz drilling because most of the tooth is the plomb. Now I have a temporary crown and in a week or so will get real procelain.

In the evening dancing again. And after that eating eating eating...starving. But cannot chew much so mostly bananas and yoghurt, some cheese toasts and a little chocolate. I watched Dr. House with one eye but mostly chatted with my ljochka and now there is a stupid discussion about Macedonian name and identity on TV. AGAIN. I MUST GO TO TURN IT OFF!!!

No comments: